My Music Classes

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Music saves my soul. I love listening to music and singing. But learning music in a class was what I never wanted to do. I remember a sir used to come home to teach me Hindustani music. He used to play a Harmonium and ask me to repeat after him. I always gave him a frowning look. I nwas never ready to play the harmonium. But when I was forced I agreed to play the keyboard but sir used to push the d bellow. He always complained my dad “SHE IS NOT PAYING ATTENTION” But things never improved and finally a day came when my music sir ran away. That was the happiest day in my life. I was free on Sundays, no one forced me to play harmonium and I could play for more time.

After a year my mom forced me to join Karnatic music classes. My first day in that class was horrifying.I saw everyone singing and doing some hand movement and hitting their laps(later I came to know, it was called taal). Days went on and I was only pretending to sing. My teacher realized it very soon and she started telling me to sing individually. Soon she stopped taking classes for some personal reasons and the smile on my face never faded.

Happiness doesn’t last long. It’s very true. Mom arranged karnatic music classes at home. This was worse than the previous class Because I was alone .I could not pretend to sing, I could not hide myself behind some tall guy. Huh… My sister moon, Pooja, Richie and W joined the class with me. And I was very glad to know that none of us were interested in learning. Beginning of a karnatic music class was SA PA SA PA SA( SAAP SAAP…. Hiiissss hiisssssssis what we did) As the class used to start W used to make a excuse of loo n never come back. Then we all made the excuse of calling him and we used to run away. Sometimes we used to appreciate sir very much. Don’t get me wrong. We were never good. He became flattered when we appreciate and he sings, his eyes closed. “Wah….. Don’t stop sir….. Such a nice voice……. Very nice…… “these words were enough. 2 hours always passed away like this. And we never learnt.

The biggest blunder we did was on the stage. Instead of singing we were doing a combo of singing and laughing. The microphones in front of us made it worse. Mom was very annoyed with me for days. But it wasn’t my fault at all. :P

And finally the day came when sir stopped coming . He was my last music sir. I never liked him till he was my teacher. But he is my favorite music teacher now.

PS: I had given a music exam and passed it in 1st division :P

2 comments:

  1. baap re... what a post! tune toh music ka hi band baja diya hai!
    p.s. mein ye bhi likh le ki this is written in lighter sense n not as offending ny1.

    waise was hilarious! had a nice reading. keep posting :)

  1. Lisha said...:

    thanks pragyan. Glad u read it:P